This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, visit the disclosure page.
I’ve never seen any episodes of HBO’s late night talk show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver before but this one caught my attention while browsing YouTube.
It’s from late last year and he’s talking about Multilevel Marketing which happens to be one of the topics of this website.
The episode is an interesting, funny and revealing look at MLM with a focus on Herbalife and how they do business.
If you’ve ever considered trying multilevel marketing before then this video will change your mind and you’ll probably be better off for it. After all, you don’t want to end up in a pyramid scheme, do you?
Some Highlights From the Video
These are some really great highlights from the video that you need to see and some of my thoughts as I watched the video.
- A Vemma distributor tells a reporter that his MLM isn’t an illegal pyramid scheme (yet it’s shaped like a pyramid). Vemma was later shut down in 2015 by the FTC for being an illegal pyramid scheme.
- Celebrities like Chuck Norris and Jenny McCarthy who endorse these MLMs. Reminds me of Donald Trump and his endorsement of ACN.
- JR Ridinger, CEO of Market America and his over the top performances at conferences.
- The Youngevity claims by company ambassador is deemed unauthorized by company. I believe they just felt embarrassed because they were asked about it.
- The dreams sold by MLM companies and how enticing they seem
- Facts about Herbalife and their spotty history with their bogus product claims. The bogus claims continue to this day.
- The confusing compensation plans people just don’t have time to understand.
- The 14:30 mark in the video is very important. It’s something a lot of people involved in MLM just don’t seem to get. It’s what defines an illegal pyramid scheme and is something I see with a lot of traditional and online MLM opportunities today.
- The shocking truth about how much distributors of some MLMs really earn.
- There’s a couple clips from Betting on Zero, a documentary film about Herbalife now showing on Netflix.
- What would Ghandi do?
MLMs Mentioned in the Video
Herbalife isn’t the only MLM company that gets beat up on by John. Some other companies are referenced for their practices or briefly mentioned including:
- Mary Kay
- Rodan + Fields
- Market America
- Max International
- Jusuru (has since been acquired by Mōdere).
I haven’t got around to doing reviews on all these companies as yet but I’ll definitely look into them at some point as long as I have this website. You can click the link to see reviews of the ones I’ve talked about.
John Oliver’s video is one of the best arguments I’ve seen against MLM probably because it’s not boring and it hits on all the points that I would normally point out to someone who is considering joining one of these things.
What do you think? Let me know what you think in the comment section below after you’ve watched it.